Tuesday 18 January 2011

COMPETITIONS

For me, photography is all about the relaxation and enjoyment of getting out and about with my camera and then creating an image which I like. Sometimes the finished picture is much as taken but sometimes, as you will have seen from some of my previous posts, it is about using all available options to create something different.

Once completed I enjoy entering competitions and exhibitions, mainly because of the challenge this brings, but also because it is good to hear the perceptions of others about the images, I find it very difficult to be truly objective about my own work and another viewpoint or opinion is welcome. In club competitions there is the added advantage of seeing up to a hundred other images and hearing the associated comments and commentary. Of course a judges opinion is just that, a judges opinion, and the results and comments always create mumblings of agreement, approval or frustration and exasperation amongst club members, however provided we all remember why we do what we do then it is all useful feedback and it hones our own skills of critiquing.

Anyway, last night we held our Panel of Three projected image competition. This always brings an additional challenge as you not only have to produce good images but they have to fit together well as a panel. In our club you  are allowed to enter three separate images or a triptych. Here are my three entries. The first two were entered as a triptych and the third was presented as three separate images.

Icelandic Geyser - awarded Second Place


 Plants in the snow - Commended

Movement on the underground - Highly Commended

I think this is probably my best showing, as all of my entries were held back and favourably commented on by the judge. As always I felt there were some other images which deserved a placement, and when projected the my plant picture really didn't look good, I certainly would not have commended it. The judge thought that the Movement on the Underground panel was down to distortion in Photoshop, in fact it was taken using a fish eye lens, with very little editing! Anyway as I said before its all down to the judge and, on this occasion, it worked in my favour. Now I am off to prepare for the panel of three print competition, I can enter up to three colour and three mono panels...that's a lot of pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment