Sunday 29 May 2011

St Albans Cathedral and Abbey

The Cathedral of St Albans, http://www.stalbanscathedral.org/,  is a popular visitor attraction, but if visited on a Saturday it seems to be quieter and that allows the photographer to work undisturbed. Having said that I was trying to produce some low level pics and whilst on the floor of the aisle I was gently tapped on the shoulder by a friendly guide who asked if I could let his tour pass by and suggested I could take the opportunity to set up my camera for the next shot, all with a smile on his face. I find it a pleasant change when so many places seem to be suspicious of photographers. 






This is the picture I was taking at the time.

















Then, taking the gentleman's advice, I switched to my IR camera. I had no idea if this was an appropriate subject for an infra red photograph but, believing that nothing ventured, nothing gained, I gave it a go. Lots of rubbish pictures resulted but this one is passable, I dont think it will win any prizes but I enjoy it, its seems to have a 'sparkle' that the straight mono pictures lacked.


As I didn't have my tripod I spent much of the time looking for cameos to take, close up of details, again many have gone into the bin but these two survived.




Hidden away at the back of the building, this seems to fit in well with the ethos of the Cathedral.













Finally my favourite image of the day. I have edited several versions of this and am still undecided as to which I prefer but for the time being this is the one!


1 comment:

  1. I like the IR shot, a very appropriate other-wordly feel to the interior. Good shots!

    ReplyDelete