Friday 31 December 2010

FISH EYE FUN

Monitary Christmas gifts and a good deal from 'thestickman' on the Four Thirds User forum meant I was able to purchase the Zuiko 8mm fish eye lens. I am already enjoying the possibilities of this lens, which really is much more than a gimmick.

On Tuesday my daughter and I took a trip to London to visit an exhibition at the V&A and to go to the theatre. I took along my camera with the fish eye attached to make myself try out the lens.

We used the underground and I was able to use my camera without any questions from 'the powers that be'. I am told that provided you are 'passing through' there should be no problems taking hand held, non flash photographs. My experience has shown this to be true, as I have never been stopped or questioned when using my camera on the underground network, perhaps it's a case of work fast so they can't catch you!

This was a grab shot as I got off the train and turned around, looking for a picture. This is as taken, apart from a RAW conversion and a bit of sharpening and is pretty well a classic fish eye shot. I must admit I rather like the effect with this type of image and of course the walking man had no idea he was in the picture!


We then moved into the V&A. I walked around for a while taking lots of 'so what' pictures, I think you will know what I mean, if not I am sure Richard will come along soon and explain :)

I was heading towards my meeting point, to join my daughter for lunch, when I suddenly saw this man sink to his knees in front of the statue, well it had to be taken. I realised that my fish eye was not the most appropriate lens for this pic, however it did enable me to get the shot unnoticed. It required some cropping afterwards and I converted to mono, adding a slight sepia effect, to remove the distracting colours and thus keeping the eye focused on the man and the statue.

No comments:

Post a Comment